Monday, April 09, 2007

Memories

I was walking past a co-workers office and noticed a map of the Blue Ridge Parkway and it brought to mind a story I hadn't thought about in years.

One day gagknee and I decided to go visit the National Corvette Musem in Bowling Green, KY. So we left our Cedarville, OH apartment, hopped in my 88 Camaro, and headed in the general direction of Kentucky.

We got about 30 miles down the road and decided to look at a map - it was only then that we discoverd that we were almost 300 miles from our destination. We were a little dismayed, but I was getting married in a week and Gagknee was heading back home to NH when that happened, so we knew that this was probably our only chance to do it - so we decided to carry on.

A couple of hours into the trip, I saw a sign for the Blue Grass Parkway. I told Gagknee we should take it because I remembered driving on it with my dad as a kid and the views were absolutely spectacular - so we did. When we got on it, We discovered that this was not the winding road with the breathtaking views that I remembered - it was actually a rather dull, limited access, 4-lane highway. Once on the road, though, we discovered we were the only ones on it. There were no other cars, and certainly no cops, so we decided to see what the camaro could do. Unfortunately, the speedometer only went to 120, so we don't know how fast we were going, but the speedometer was pegged. We set the cruise control and rode the entire length of that highway at 100+ mph.

We got to the Museum, spent the whole day admiring the corvettes, and when we were done, returned home the same way.

That was a pretty good day.

p.s. The real Blue Ridge Parkway IS a spectacular drive, and well worth it if you are in the area, but it is nowhere near Kentucky.

p.p.s. I really miss that car.

5 Comments:

At 6:45 PM, Blogger gagknee said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger gagknee said...

that is one of my most favorite stories. i can't even tell you how many times i have told it. when i am old and senile people will make fun of me for telling that story over and over and over.

i accidentally said we were on the blue ridge parkway for the first few years i told it before i realized my mistake.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger gagknee said...

apparently nobody else thinks this story is as cool as we do.

SCREW YOU, EVERYBODY!

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Big A said...

maybe they've all heard it already...

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger gagknee said...

hmm. i suppose.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home